Private Tour of Roman Catacombs: The Appian Way
The phrase ‘all roads lead to Rome’ is often used to refer to the famous Appian Way, a road that played a crucial role in the Roman Empire as the most important road leading in and out of the city. Famous for its beauty and its many landmarks it is also home to the catacombs, a network of tunnels with a rich history of their own. On this tour of the catacombs, which can be accessed by walking along the Appian Way, your guide will provide information about the tunnels’ construction, exploration, and excavation, as well as their various uses and purposes throughout the centuries.
These tunnels served as a necropolis, or a cemetery, for early Christians in Rome, who chose to bury their dead there instead of following traditional Roman burial practices.
As you walk through the catacombs, you’ll have the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of these early Christians and visit some of the oldest Christian buildings in the world. You can choose between the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, a grand Roman church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and the Archbasilica of Saint John Lateran, a large cathedral that serves as the seat of the papacy.
This trip is ideal for those interested in the history of Christianity and ancient Rome, and the journey itself is a symbol of the connection between the past and the present. The trip begins with the Appian Way and ends at some of the most revered places of worship in the world.
At check-out, before your purchase is confirmed, you will be kindly asked to leave the written address of your accommodation or potential meeting point. This implies the name of the hotel, bed & breakfast or residence in which you will be staying as long as it is situated within the city centre. Such requirements are necessary for pick-up and private services only.
- Private Professional Licensed Guide
- Access to the underground sites
- Pickup and transfer to the meeting point with a luxury vehicle and English-speaking driver
- Private Tour
- Transfer back to accommodation
- Optional gratuities
What You'll Do
- You'll be picked up by our English-speaking driver in a luxury vehicle
- You'll meet with the guide and get to walk on the Appian Way, the starting point for Roman traders and warriors journeying to the far eastern reaches of the Empire
- You'll then access the underground Christian Catacombs, the burial grounds of the earliest Christians who were laid to rest in maze-like underground galleries
- After this, your guide will lead you to St. John Lateran, the former seat of the Papacy, or Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica, the largest church in Rome dedicated to the Virgin Mary, up to your choice.
What To Remember
- The driver will meet you at the start time and location you have indicated and will wait for a maximum of 15 minutes. Missed tours cannot be refunded.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible due to uneven surfaces.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.
- The tour operator is not responsible for last minute, unpredictable closures, strikes or union meetings. Nevertheless, the tour operator will be happy to offer customers an extended tour for the remaining time.