Private Shore Excursion From Civitavecchia: Vatican and Colosseum
Your private tour driver will be waiting for you in front of your cruise ship and will drive you to visit the Vatican and the Colosseum.
The driver will drop you off at the usually packed museum entrance, where you will meet your private tour guide and, with your “skip the line” ticket, you will skip the huge entry line and access the metal detector check. The tour will begin on a gorgeous panoramic terrace that offers a stunning view of St. Peter’s dome overlooking the Vatican Gardens; the perfect spot to take a great picture! The guide will then walk you through all the highlights of the museums which include masterpieces and artifacts from different cultures and civilizations. You will enter the Pio Clementine museum, you will gasp at the length of the enormous Tapestry Hall, then through the Hall of the Painted Maps, you will enter the Sistine Chapel whose impact on history, religion, and visual arts has no equal in the world.
All of our tour guides are local experts and have deep knowledge of art and history. They are perfectly trained to follow your pace, assist you throughout the whole tour and guarantee you an unforgettable experience!
After the Vatican, you can enjoy a quick lunch at a traditional Roman restaurant. Once your break is over, you will visit the world’s largest amphitheater, skipping the line with your priority entrance tickets.
Once inside, your private tour guide will bring the Colosseum back to life by explaining how the gladiators entertained the crowds with spectacular fights. You will learn the complex engineering applied by the Romans to build, what is still considered, the most technologically advanced entertainment complex of its time. The guide will then take you to the second level of the Colosseum where you will enjoy the beautiful view of the arena and all of the seating areas. This includes the exact spot where the emperor enjoyed the shows with his family.
After the Colosseum, walking by the beautifully preserved arch of Emperor Constantine, you will proceed to the archaeological site of the Roman Forum, which represented the commercial, legal and administrative center of ancient Rome. You will literally feel as if you were brought back in time during the Imperial age of Rome.
The tour will end after the Roman Forum visit. Your driver will pick you up and drive you back to Civitavecchia port to embark on your cruise ship.
At check-out, before your purchase is confirmed, you will be kindly asked to leave the name of your cruise ship, dock and disembarkation information. Please include the time of arrival.
- Port pickup and drop-off with deluxe vehicle
- Private Professional Licensed Guide at your disposal
- Skip the line admission tickets for all attractions
Colosseum ticket prices are found in our Terms and Conditions
- Lunch à la carte
- City transfers not included
- Optional gratuities
English, Italian, Spanish, French, Russian, German, Portuguese
What You'll Do
- Meet and greet with English-speaking driver at disembarkation point. Driver will hold a sign with your name
- Enjoy a 1.5 hours drive along the Tyrrhenian coast to the Vatican museums where you will meet your private tour guide
- Skip the line for the Vatican Museums and visit the highlights, including the world renowned Sistine Chapel
- Enter the stunning St. Peter's Basilica and admire Michelangelo's Pietà sculpture
- Enjoy a lunch break in a traditional roman restaurant famous for it's pizza's and pasta's.
- Get a taxi (not included) to get to the Colosseum and skip the long entry line with your priority entrance tickets
- Visit the archaeological site of the Roman Forum and once finished, your driver will take you back to embark your cruise ship
What To Remember
- *It should be noted that while the intended destinations will remain constant, it is possible that the order of the itinerary may be modified without prior notice.
- The driver will meet you at the start time and disembarkation point you have indicated and will wait for a maximum of 30 minutes. Missed tours cannot be refunded.
- Please remember to inform us if a member of your party needs wheelchair access.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended since this tour involves a fair amount of walking.
- The tour operator is not responsible for last minute, unpredictable closures, strikes or union meetings. Nevertheless, the tour operator will be happy to offer customers an extended tour for the remaining time.
- The tour is free of charge for children under the age of 6.
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women.
- Large bags and suitcases are not permitted inside the Colosseum and there is no deposit room to store them.
- Please note: Tours of the Basilica are not permitted on Wednesday mornings or when special papal ceremonies are taking place. In these cases, your guide will take you to St. Peter's Square and explain it from the outside. Security check is mandatory for everyone entering Vatican City. is mandatory for everyone entering Vatican City.