Discover the Undergrounds of Rome with an Expert Archaeologist
Forget about the most popular sites in Rome, such as: Colosseum, Vatican and Trevi fountain. We will take you to visit the dungeons of ancient churches in Trastevere (one of the most ancient neighborhoods of Rome), where the first Christians gathered to pray and where you can admire ancient underground cemeteries that are unknown to most of the locals in Rome!
The Roman neighborhood known as “Trastevere” refers, literally, to: “the area across the Tiber.” In ancient times, this was the district where Jews and free slaves lived.
Firstly, we will visit the undergrounds of St. Nicholas church. This delightful church, was built in the 10th century on the foundations of three Roman temples dating back to more than 2000 years ago! They were at the center of a fruit and vegetable market of ancient Rome. Most of these original temples, including their marble columns, have been incorporated into the structure of St. Nicholas church and are still perfectly visible. Going down into the basement, we will make a real journey through time up to the 3rd Century BC through a crypt used for exorcisms, passing by piles of ancient fragments of human bones and cemeteries.
At the end of the path, your guide will show you the ancient prisons, where the legend tells that St. Nicholas was imprisoned here.
We will then proceed our journey by discovering the hidden gems of Trastevere, including the oldest synagogue in Rome (Jewish temple). Our visit will take us to several unusual churches, and will wind through the city’s ancient alleyways.
At check-out, before your purchase is confirmed, you will be kindly asked to leave the written address of your accommodation or potential meeting point. This implies the name of the hotel, bed & breakfast or residence in which you will be staying as long as it is situated within the city centre. Such requirements are necessary for pick-up and private services only.
- Expert archaeologist/guide
- Special permit to access the underground sites
- Hotel pickup and transfer to meeting point with deluxe minivan
- Small group of maximum 10 people
- Hotel drop-off
- Optional gratuities
What You'll Do
- Meet and greet with driver and transfer to meeting point with the archaeologist
- Begin the tour by visiting the underground galleries of St. Nicholas church and its prisons
- Proceed by strolling around Trastevere while hearing the stories behind its most important churches
- Walk by the oldest Synagogue of Rome
- Visit the undergrounds of San Crisogono Basilica and admire its ancient Roman frescoes
What To Remember
- The driver will meet you at the start time and location you have indicated and will wait for a maximum of 15 minutes. Missed tours cannot be refunded.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible due to uneven surfaces.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.
- The tour operator is not responsible for last minute, unpredictable closures, strikes or union meetings. Nevertheless, the tour operator will be happy to offer customers an extended tour for the remaining time.